Monday, October 25, 2010

Wedding Bells

We got married.  I am a married man.

Nothing feels different and I don't expect it to.  I'm really happy, she's really happy, and we're happy together.  The whole thing doesn't seem real, it looks odd to see my last name on her Facebook account, and having a ring on my finger feels strange, but that's it.  I expect the adjustment will happen slowly and without notice.  I'll probably goof up and call her my fiancee a couple of times, but that will go away in a week or so and I'll probably get used to the ring in a few days.  The name thing will be odd for a while just because changing a name is a process that takes time and has to be repeated everywhere.  It's probably a million times more odd for her.  I can't imagine what it must be like learning to sign a new last name.

I don't have a whole lot to say about the matter.  Now that it's done and over with it's time to get back to business as usual.  Kind of.

Hopefully I'll have a job soon and we can get a bigger apartment (and maybe a new car in a year or so), then maybe we can discuss things like dogs and kids.  We're both a little old for children, but I'd still like to try.

I've been committed to this woman for over a year now, so that hasn't changed.  If anything it's a safeguard to keep me from running from my problems, though I haven't done that in a while either.

I wish I knew if it changed anything for her, if any new expectations or feelings have appeared.  I expect things like that will take time to discover for both of us.  The important thing is that the core of our relationships remains the same, we were both completely honest and ourselves before and will continue to be.

I've never been happier in my entire life.  I have someone to love and who loves me, I have a partner in crime and best friend, and I have a whole lifetime ahead of me with her.  My only regret is that I didn't find her (or she find me) sooner.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment