Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Booze!

I like booze.  I don't drink often, and when I do I don't drink much (anymore), but I love booze.  Part of it is the escapism of being drunk and part of it is the chemistry of it all.  See, I'm a science guy.  I love all kinds of sciences, especially chemistry.  And booze is just chemistry in action.  Someday I'd love to home brew beer, or make my own wine, or even set up a little still.  But until I can afford to have such expensive hobbies I've got Spike Your Juice!
I came across this delightful stuff while browsing Gizmodo one day.  It's a powdered yeast mixture that you can use at home to turn ordinary grape juice (or whatever kind of juice) into a type of wine based on federweißer, a quick cheap wine made from lesser quality grapes.
Spike Your Juice is cheap, only $10 for a box which contains 6 yeast packets and a rubber stopper with an airlock.  You just buy some juice, make sure it's made with real sugar (and enough of it), pour in the powder, seal it up with the airlock (so the carbon dioxide buildup doesn't blow your bottle up), and wait.
So I did.  I've got 64 ounces of white grape federweißer fermenting on the counter as we speak.  I did a taste test earlier (after 48 hours of fermentation) and while smelling horrid it tasted pretty damn good.  Mildly carbonated and still very sweet it probably has a very low ABV so it gets a couple more days to ferment.  But all of this got me thinking, and while I was thinking I was enjoying a tasty caffeinated beverage known widely to gamers and nerds: Mountain Dew.  Not just any Dew though, it was the very tasty Throwback version with real sugar.  I checked the ingredient list, and indeed it is real sugar.  Checked the nutritional facts and it has more than enough of the delicious real sugar for the Spike Your Juice to work it's magic.
And if you haven't figured it out yet, I'm going to spike the hell out of some Mountain Dew Throwback.  I just need 3.2 bottles, a suitable container, and time.  Stay tuned for next week when I brew up a batch of awesomeness.  :)

1 comment: