Saturday, October 2, 2010

Not Wanting to BASH! My Head In

A couple of friends posted analyses of our Thursday night BASH! game and these got me thinking about gaming so I figured I'd toss in my two cents.

Mic is running a 50's style sci-fi adventure with a dark bent that he's basing off of a graphic novel he digs.  I'm not sure what the campaign is called (or if it even has a name) so I'll just refer to it as Mic's Game.  This is our second BASH! game (or 3rd if you count the one-shot Ryan ran for Wendy and I one night) and I'm starting to get used to the mechanics.
BASH! isn't exactly rocket science (or AD&D 2nd Ed., for which you require mathematics degree to play) but the rules are different enough that I'm still working out what we can do with them.  And unlike most games I've played, it encourages loose interpretation and experimentation of the rules.  Want to do something cool?  I can almost guarantee there's no direct rule for it, you just have to pick the one that fits best and run with it.
This is both awesome and frustrating to me.  Awesome in the fact that I can do pretty much whatever the hell I want and not be restricted by "oh well, there's no rule for that, so you can't" and frustrating in that I can't just point to a rule and say "I want to do that."  Coming up with creative uses for powers during a game session is difficult for me, I hate losing track of what's happening in the game but I also don't want to take five minutes figuring out what I want to do when it's my turn.  When I get more accustomed to the rules this should get easier, but for now it's an issue.
As for Mic's Game I'm playing a psychic named Bob Jones, a former soldier on the run from the government because he didn't want them playing inside his head when they found out he had powers.  His real name is Rupert Allen something (don't look at me like that, I can't be expected to remember everything).  Bob's powers include telekinesis, mental armor, danger sense, and invisibility.  Haven't had a chance to play with his invis yet, but I expect it will come in handy.
There's another psychic in the party, (played by Ben) but he has a different power set and a backstory that should make for some compelling roleplaying later.  A master of mind control, Fred is a member of the very government agency Bob is hiding from.
Providing the heavy for the party is Ryan with his power-armored soldier.  Concern has been expressed by Ryan about the extreme combat effectiveness of his character, worrying that he might steal all the glory.  I trust that Mic has a solution for this, and either way I'm not that worried about it.  The very fact that Ryan knows his character is powerful and is concerned about it means that it won't be an issue.
The final member of the party is Buffy the Alien Hunter, played by my dear fiancee, Wendy.  What the character lacks in originality Wendy makes up for in enthusiasm.  However, the character straight from the book didn't fit Wendy's play style well so we made some mid-game readjustments and made her a bit more combat effective.
So far I'm liking the game and having a lot of fun with it.  I think that my character has a lot more potential than the character I played in our previous BASH game, but that probably has more to do with my play style than any defect of the character build.  Overall, I continue to be happy with the Thursday night game and hope I get invited to play in other games in the future.

4 comments:

  1. Ack! When I read the post title, I was worried that you hated it. It would fit the weekend I'm having.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, sorry about that. Loving the game, sir.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete