Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Fallout Vault Dweller/Lone Wanderer Costume: Part 1

I love Fallout 3.  It is a wonderful game full of exploration, awesome sights, great story, bad ass action, and more fun than you can shake a stick at.  Since I started playing it I've wanted to do a costume based on it.  Unfortunately by the time I think of making a costume for Halloween it's too late and I wouldn't have enough time to finish it.  This time, however, I remembered MisCon.  MisCon is Montana's biggest, baddest, most awesome (and only) Sci-Fi/Fantasy convention.  And it's in May.  Plenty of time to plan, gather, and construct a Vault Dweller/Lone Wanderer costume.  So on to the details!

In the world of Fallout there are these massive nuclear fallout shelters called Vaults and the citizens of these Vaults wear a distinctive blue and yellow jumpsuit:
This is the base of the costume.  A blue coverall/jumpsuit with some yellow bits.  However, many Fallout costumes on the net are poorly done.  I can't count the number of Vault-Tec jumpsuits I've seen that are just a blue jumpsuit with yellow tape on them.  Seriously people?  Yellow fucking tape?  Another big issue I have with most of them is the font.  Most people, even if they use real fabric for the yellow parts, just freehand the shape of the numbers.  However, the numbers use a specific, very 1950's style font.
Now, I'm not psycho about the details.  I'm not going to custom tailor a jumpsuit to match the game, making sure every last bit is right.  What I do want to do right is the big details.  The yellow parts are fabric and are obviously stitched on and do not extend around the collar.  The numbers are a specific font and are stitched on.  The forearms are brown leather.  The shoulder has that leather and metal piece.  The collar is not a standard jumpsuit/coverall collar.  These are the important details that I intend to focus on.
That being said, I probably won't get them perfect.  I suck at hand stitching and I've never used a sewing machine.  I can't afford leather so I'll probably use a fake leather or just dark brown cloth.  I'm not even going to try to make the belt (but I have reasoning behind that).  And while every Vault resident has a Pip-Boy, mine probably won't look like the one from the game (and I'll go into detail about that later).
You might be saying "But you made such a stink about accuracy and then you're not going to be accurate, what gives?"  Time, money, and skill are what gives.  I don't want to half-ass this costume but I'm also not going to be able to make it perfect.  What I can do it make it look good, and make it work within the world of Fallout.  You see, Fallout takes place in a wonderful, post-apocalyptic, post-nuclear war world.  The survivors get by scavenging and making due with what they have.  And that, my friends, is my saving grace.  My character could have lost his belt and scavenged a new one.  His Pip-Boy could have been damaged and then repaired with whatever he had on hand (and maybe it wasn't a model 3000a Pip-Boy to begin with).  The jumpsuit will be dirty, ragged, and abused.  Fallout is a world of DIY, dumpster diving, and using what you've got.  So why not take advantage of that?

The costume will consist of: a Vault-Tec jumpsuit (Vault 101 or 77), belt with holster/storage, 10mm pistol (Nerf Recon), and Pip-Boy.  I don't have a budget for the costume, but buying what I can when I can I hope to stay under $150 total.  The jumpsuit will probably be around $40-$50 total, the pistol will be around $30-$40, and the Pip-Boy could be anywhere from $20 to $50.
I'll keep you all posted on the status of the costume as it comes together.  In the words of Three-Dog, "Thanks for listening, chiiiiildren!"

2 comments:

  1. How did it go? Got any pics? Are you still breathing? :)

    ReplyDelete